In Kerala, pepper is grown across acres of plantations. The “king of spices” is so precious that in the olden days, people paid off their debts in peppercorns! Here’s the recipe for the delectable pacha kurumulagu erachi roast or mutton roasted with green peppercorn:
- Mutton 500 grams
- Pacha Kurumulagu or green peppercorn 250 grams
- Onion 250 grams
- Green Chillies 50 grams
- Ginger 50 grams
- Garlic 50 grams
- Coconut Oil 100 ml
- Curry Leaves 5 grams
- Coriander Powder 5 grams
- Turmeric Powder 10 grams
- Coconut Milk 1 cup
- Salt to taste
- Heat the oil in a big wok.
- Add ginger, garlic, onion, green chilli and pacha kurumulagu and sauté, till the onions are golden brown and translucent.
- Add the turmeric, coriander and garam masala powders, and mix well.
- Remove from heat, and grind the fried spices to a smooth paste.
- Put it back on heat, and mix in the mutton.
- When the mutton is cooked, add coconut milk and garnish with crushed green pepper corn and curry leaves.
Preparation: 30 minutes